Total Pageviews

Sunday, May 10, 2009

My final week

This time next weekend I should be on the road to Chicagoland. After tomorrow night, my last semester final, I will start planning my packing list, go through all my things I will take along, reload the van, clear out some stuff in my "office" before I go.

I'm actually looking forward to getting out of this oppressive heat. I just hope the mountains don't go up in flames while I am gone. If the eastern Huachucas catch fire, this neighborhood would get evacuated. Pets and wildlife would panic.

Kevin has taken over the garden chores with a vengeance. He's practiced every garden technique I have shown him. He is a quick learner and works well with his hands and the land. The vegetables will not be neglected while I am gone.

In fact, I expect a bumper crop of tomatoes, potatoes, beets, peppers and turnips when I return!
I have thought long and hard about which dog should accompany me. I've opted for Sadie, the youngest, but also the least experienced when it comes to protecting me in the wilderness. I know that taking a dog into National Parks is a serious offense (I wish taking a damn ATV were just as offensive!) so that will limit my options in the many parks I plan on visiting along the way. But that's OK with me at this point as this way I don't spend dollars on entrance fees to parks that were sacred lands to the indigenous peoples. Most national parks are bordered by national forests or BLM lands that are just as striking.

I'll have to remember to get Sadie's health certificate from her vet.

I most likely will not stay in Indiana a whole month. That was my original plan. What can I possibly do there in a month? My high school friends have all left that hellhole for greener pastures. I love my family but no one in my family likes the outdoors like I do. They would rather go shopping, go eating, go movie watching...all boring stuff. And neither of my kids likes to get dirty in the woods.

I have a visit to Indianapolis with Sharon planned, a trip to my bank there as well, perhaps visit Mikel and Lindie in Lafayette, IN and a few other daytrips in the area, but I won't sit around for the duration. Erin doesn't seem too dire in need of my help since she has so many friends helping her out with day care and other things. If she didn't live with my ex I wouldn't be quite so uncomfortable, either.

I will take Sadie to the Indiana Dunes State Park and hike with her around the perimeter. That park is my regional favorite (it's actually the ONLY state park in the area!) but the transition from bogs to pre-dune flora to beachgrass is amazing. The perimeter trails make for a nice 10-mile trek. I'll probably take her into Chicago as well and walk along the lakefront.

Eric called me for M Day today and revealed that he's ready to move to St Paul, MN this summer. He's waiting for the acceptance letter to the music school there. He sounds like he has a plan there, finally, and is taking on big chances. I wish him well.

I just don't understand why he, who hates the cold, would want to move to Minnesota. At least the people there are wonderfully hospitable. I was hoping he would settle on Colorado...at least that's a day's drive from here.

Oh well. One more week. One more week of cleaning up, clearing out and packing away for the summer. Kevin will do fine in my absence. I just hope I will manage fine on the road and don't fall victim to a freak summer storm, flash flood, falling tree or drunk driver.

No comments: