Total Pageviews

Sunday, September 20, 2009

Another week's gone by...

And I worked three days, two of with were for high school science. I really like that subject, but it's obvious how much has changed since I was in school. We never learned about genetics or gene therapy and all the discoveries with chromosomes since then. I'm looking forward to my college-level biology course next semester just to get back into the mode.

But some basics never change. One of the requirements for one of the classes required that the students write an outline of what the chapter covered.

"What's an outline?" asked one boy.

And one girl, who never did want to stop chatting (without opening her book to the lesson) walked out of class because she refused to do any work. It's no surprise that later I learned she was one of those jock girls who demands respect from everyone, even teachers, and if she doesn't get it--telling her to be quiet is disrespect--she walks out. Her online name is "Ghetto Chick." Figures.

"That's just the way she is" said the teacher to me. Even her classmates were glad she had left the room.

I am slowly making my rounds back through the schools. Friday I was back at a middle school and one of the 7th graders remembered me. This was a math class but no class is going to be paying attention on a Friday afternoon. Many of the students were more concerned with what looked like rain outside. A few drops fell and the kids panicked.

I hiked with a group up Miller Peak yesterday. Now I've bagged two peaks right here in the neighborhood. Wildflowers are still in bloom.

But slowly, ever slowly, the nighttime temperatures are dropping. It was in the 50s this morning. The back garden already looks dead. Soon I can focus on the winter crop.

No comments: