Total Pageviews

Monday, June 21, 2010

Erin and Ethan in Arizona

The big week has finally arrived: on Saturday I picked up Erin and Ethan from the airport in Tucson. They will be spending a week in Arizona. It's Erin's first time here since 1997. It's also the hottest week here all year and yet she's loving the dry heat. I can tell she's not from here because the locals hide from the heat as much as possible and stand in the shade. She, however, stands in the open sun.

"I want to get a tan."

We have taken her to Tombstone and Bisbee this weekend. Other plans are the Reid Park Zoo in Tucson, Mount Lemmon and perhaps Prescott. Wednesday we have a day trip to my mother's place in Sahuarita.

I'm just loving being a hostess. Ethan is a real prince and loves playing with Sadie and Sammy. Sara is a bit more reluctant and keeps her distance from the boy. Pache is curious but a bit hesitant to come up to Ethan, although he sniffed him in bed last night. I'm surprised he's afraid of Erin so far as he's very affectionate with Kevin and me.

I have no toys for him here other than a stuffed bear I got him. He, however, makes simple things play things. Ethan's big joy is walking around the dining room area carrying big cans of green beans. We take those cans from Ethan and replace them with smaller cans like sliced mushrooms or tomato paste in case he drops a can on his toes. A wooden rod that's part of a book shelf I'm putting together has become his walking stick around the house. It's his future trekking pole.

No comments: