Total Pageviews

Sunday, June 12, 2011

A new fire closer to home




This fire broke out this afternoon in the Coronado National Memorial. It was first reported at around 80 acres, but grew to 1000 by 6pm. Kevin and I saw the fireline race up Thompson peak, the round top viewable from our neighborhood. Smoke is filling the valley. People in Ash and Stump canyon were asked to prepare for evacuation. Fire trucks from all kinds of districts were racing down Highway 92. I can see fire from our rooftop.

This fire is only eight miles away on the border. Winds are in our favor and we have plenty of road and homes blocking this fire, but the bad air could mean bad news for plenty of people closer to this fire.

This fire looks contained now as I'm not hearing the aircraft fly overhead anymore, but I can still see spot fires from our neighborhood's viewpoint.

This fire is a little too close for comfort and I doubt I'll be resting well tonight. Kevin's already out because he drank too much beer again.

No comments: