Total Pageviews

Friday, April 11, 2008

A little green hummingbird came by today


I've had a busy week getting the garden ready and walking the dogs along either the foothills or along the San Pedro River. I haven't done much hiking this week. (But today it was the river). As I came back home in the early afternoon I was flabbergasted to be greeted by a little green Rufous hummingbird in the kitchen, flying around the lights and window with what looked like nesting material in its little beak. The little guy (gal?) let me trap it in my hands.

I immediately gave it some sugar water that had been sitting by the kitchen window specifically for hummers. The little thing took the water gratefully, sucking up what it could with its tongue. I held the frightened critter in my hand, feeling its heartbeat against my palm. Its flittering wings combined were just small enough to fit within my cupped palm as I held it.

It calmed down enough to sit still in my cupped palm for a few minutes while I got myself shodded and stepped outside to let it go, away from the cats inside.

I took the bird outside, still cupped in my hand, photographed it, and then opened my hand to let it go.

Surprisingly, the bird sat perched on my finger for a few seconds before it flew off. I hope it feels comfortable enough to come back. My garden is open to its visits.

No comments: