Total Pageviews

Monday, September 1, 2008

The Day Before

Yesterday (Sunday) was busy for me. I had so much planned for the garden, getting things ready before leaving for a week: picking all the peppers and beans, watering the vegetable patches and getting the last of the grass seed sowed. How was I going to get it all done AND have time for one last walk with the dogs?

I managed to get most of the garden chores done, but then the skies darkened in the mid afternoon and I delayed my hike with the dogs. At 4pm the sky burst open and it rained hard for over an hour. Even the 50-gallon bins got filled with fresh water. The clothes that were hanging outside were wet, too. This may be the last of the monsoonal rains, according to the meteorolists on KVOA. Will be just-seeded grass die from lack of rain?

So much for driving down Hunter Canyon for one last run. The dogs would have dragged the wet mud into Essie and smelled up the truck.

Instead, I opted to walk the dogs and as soon as it dried up enough, I was off. I left the house at 6:42pm and ended up walking over four miles...reaching a green water tank off Highway 92, just short of the Hunter Canyon trailhead parking. I had never walked that far south with the dogs along the frontage road, and it was a scenic, uphill jaunt. Sara loved being upfront, and Sadie took turns running fast-forward to catch up with Sara, then running back to wait up for Sammy and me. And when she could, she'd race through a water puddle.

San Jose Peak in Mexico was shrouded in a low fog cloud, adding a mystical view of the desert sky as the sun faded behind the mountains. It was quite dark by the time I got back.

All three dogs were wet when I returned, from running through the tall weeds along the path. I got a good work-out, too. I needed that walk! Kevin was already in bed but left his home-made ravioli on the stove.

Hurricane Gustav continued to be the newsmaker. Sen McCain announced that the Republican National Convention would be curtailed quite a bit on opening day on Monday so that GWB could concentrate on any hurricane-related news.

No comments: