Total Pageviews

Sunday, July 26, 2009

Miss Sierra Vista 2009

The new winner is my classmate Kim Swift! I saw that this morning at 2am when I couldn't sleep and got up to read the news. I knew she was competing this year as she was featured last week in the paper as a contestant. Everything I've seen her do in class has been A+ work and she deserved the $3000 educational scholarship. I know she worked hard to win this award and will continue to work hard this coming year for the Miss Arizona contest.

I cried a few tears of joy for her, as I know she's had to work hard all her young life for her accomplishments.

Although I find beauty pageants degrading, with women having to parade on stage in high heels and skimpy bathing suits and gowns when such physical exposure and judgement is not expected of men, I know Kim won based on her overall talents, intelligence and charm.

I'm glad to know her as a classmate. She's going to be one cool teacher some day and any school district hiring her will be proud of her. Her big thing is literacy for children.

As for me, I could only get two classes for this coming semester: History of the US 1607-1877 and History of Women in the US although that second class to now only has one signed up, me, and five are needed to hold a class. English 102, Network Systems, Developmental Psychology, Spanish 102 and American Literature would be my other choices. I really don't want three heavy-writing courses, though.

http://www.svherald.com/articles/2009/07/26/news/doc4a6b6174454b5649599591.txt

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Found your blog trying to google up info on what Kim will be doing this yeara as Miss SV... based on her essay on the misssierravista.org site she deserved to win. I new her back in highschool, and was trying to figure what was in store for her now that she won.
I agree about the bikinis and heals, it is a shame that the girls have to parade around like that, but I give Kim props for toughing it out, she was very modest so I imagine she struggled with it. She always had big dreams and worked way hard.

Connie said...

Yes, I wrote to Kim after she won and she said the same thing: that competing was very demanding and that she "learned a lot" about the pageant world.

I had her for two classes last school year at Cochise College and she did phenomenal work in both classes. I always enjoyed her work. It was always thorough, professional, and with a lot of passion. I can just imagine those little fourth graders being in awe of her. She is going to be one awesome teacher!

Anonymous said...

After reading Miss Swift's article in yesterday's paper I can tell without knowing her personally that she has a different attitude.

Connie said...

Kim is exceptional. Her passion for literacy will have an impact on at-risk students. She's already making the rounds in the local school district and talking to teachers and teens about the importance of staying in school. She always talked with great emotion about her involvement with "Reading Rocks," the volunteer organization she works for that allows young adults to spend time reading to small children.

We have kept in touch and plan on getting together later in September, when both of us are more settled with our fall semester.