Total Pageviews

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

The flu continues

School is back in session this week and with it the calls to come in. Yesterday I worked half a day at the middle school where, once again, one of the gals recognized me from the Bisbee era. She was now at this school because she had gotten expelled from the other school through the fall. In the meantime, she's in town with her dad.

When I had her last year she was a feisty preteen. Although she talked back to me, I liked her. Coming from divorced parents she was fighting her own wars and gave her leeway. What eventually got her expelled is her temper. She fights with anyone who crosses her.

Still, she is a sweet person once you get to know her, and when I had time we chatted.

"We'll talk later!" she said with a smile as school was let go for the day.

Today I thought I was going back to that school, but instead got a call for High School English. This means I can wear the same outfit as yesterday's!

The kids from yesterday were pistols. One class was aghast when they learned that I didn't watch TV in the evenings. Now that TV stations have converted to HDTV, all we get is KVOA-NBC out of Tucson, on our 20-year-old black-and-white TV. It's enough for the morning, mid-day and evening news, and any special documentary NBC may show, but I've gotten so used to not getting interrupted by TV anymore. I enjoy the more quiet evenings.

But not being interested in reality TV shocked many of the kids. "What do you do in your spare time?" asked one boy. Oh please! So I rattled off my interests: "I hike, I travel, I garden, I read, watch documentaries and do a lot of research for my college courses!" That did not impress too many youngsters.

Hurricane Rick died to a tropical storm sooner than expected. Although I see southern storm clouds over the horizon, no rain is forecasted for us. It's breezy outside but at 6am it was still 62F; still warmer than usual for this time of year. Cooler temps are predicted for later this week. I don't have class tonight but need to spend some time back in the library as I have two papers due in two weeks. I want to do well.

No comments: