Total Pageviews

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

A record was set!

I've now worked three straight weeks at the schools because of the flu. Although the peaks' behind us now, these extra hours are a godsend, since I'm using all the money to pay off my huge US History documentary collection I've amassed via amazon.com.

I've had all subject matters, from history and English to social studies to severely-profound learning disabled students. My style's gotten better as I seem to have less behavior issues with the ages now (compared to last year in Bisbee, for example). Or maybe I'm just taking my job more seriously now that I'm certified to teach?

At any rate these long hours are starting to show on me. Next week's fall break and I'm looking forward to the days off! I have time to focus on my research papers and other errands, like get the home internet connection fixed.

My old friend Jackie's back subbing as well. I hadn't seen her until today when she was a few classrooms from me, but I didn't have a chance to chat with her over lunch because of our individual lunch schedules. She's still not full-time employed at her former job, which is why she's still with the school.

I enjoy being a teacher and I enjoy mentoring these young minds. "Bad" days don't upset me so much anymore, and now it's more like having a "bad hour" rather than a bad day.

Autumn has arrived. High winds blew across the desert at 4am and it looked like rain, but instead we had a breezy day that never got warmer than 77F. The trees in the valley haven't changed colors yet, either. They just turn brown and drop off like our sycamores and maples this year because we never got those late-summer rains.

No comments: