Total Pageviews

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Empire Ranch




































I spent most of yesterday with my digital photography class out at Empire Ranch, north of Sonoitaoff Highway 83 in beautiful wine country. We had to do landscapes, portraits and still lives as a project and were divided into three teams. I dreaded the portraits because I don't like photographing people I don't know. I want to capture their personality whereas the guys in the group were looking for provocative poses. It was an interesting observations of what both genders think is attractive.
It turns out the work with all three models was quite nice. Two of them are in my class and one is the daughter of a former student. I got to chat with some of my classmates and strike a few interesting conversations. The gals made the assignment easy for me.
It was a long day out at Empire Ranch, a former ranch now tended to by BLM. I had been in the area last spring but never walked around the ranch per se. There were many interesting angles to photograph from. The ranch is not in very good shape: the adobe structure in all areas is cracking. The foundation is uneven. Paint is peeling off the window sills. Rusted abandoned farm equipment lies carelessly across the property. Signs warn of rattlers. Yet it's the "rustic" part that adds charm.
My biggest learning experience was working with light diffusers and reflectors. I enjoyed working with them so much, that as soon as I got home I ordered one from Amazon.
It was a mild day with a cool breeze. I never took off my wind breaker. Cottonwoods were already in bloom but I didn't find too many birds around the dry creek bed. The only wildlife I saw were various ant species and a few raptors flying overhead. The surrounding mountains were brown-dry, except for the tallest peaks of the Santa Ritas and Mount Wrightson.

I stopped in Patagonia on my way home at 3pm to drop off recyclables. Then I drove around Sonoita and Elgin and discovered a few more interesting corners of this beautiful state. Highways 82 and 83 are designated "Scenic Byways." I can see why.

I was quite tired when I got home around 5pm. I guess standing around in the sun all day and walking around looking for things to "shoot" is more exhausting than it looks.

No comments: