Total Pageviews

Friday, December 17, 2010

Another end of semester

I had my last final Wednesday night, my Spanish final. I took my time, going over all my answers and finding a few mistakes along the way. By the time I turned in my paper there were only three other people remaining: Sheila, Kristi and Juanita, all who have sat around me all semester long. The instructor had all the other papers stacked on her desk and was already grading them. I took out my new eReader to read while she graded, as I was in no hurry.

"Do you want to know your grade?" she asked.
"Yes, but take your time!"
"You got an A."
"But you haven't even looked at my paper!"
"I know you, Connie. You got an A!"

Oh, if life were only so easy. But in her defense I'd gotten As all semester long on all homework, in-class assignments, quizzes and tests that if I had failed the final I could have still gotten an B. I had reviewed the grammar all day anyway.

I'm glad I finally took that Spanish course. I really should have taken it sooner. Knowing better Spanish would have made my trips along the Rio Grande back in early 2008 even more interesting. I'm already signed up for the next course and I'm considering taken the intermediate course next fall. I enjoy a culture more when I understand the language better. And when one understands the culture and language, one understands the people as well.

There were several native speakers in this course. Besides Juanita (an older, passionate woman in love with her heritage) there were two men who sat in the back of the class. They consistently chatted in Spanish to each other, speaking a lingo Juanita said was typical of the northern Sonoran dialect. Both men had grown up speaking Spanish but both had trouble reading it. They didn't seem to take learning the language seriously, though, and were not the best students. Juanita said she struggled herself with the grammar, but now better understands her mother tongue. I like Juanita. I always enjoyed listening to her experiences in Mexico and her childhood memories.

If only the violence along the border would relent! It's only gotten worse in the last two years. A few days ago a USBP agent was killed in southern Arizona while pursuing a group of drug smugglers in the Rio Rico area, a hilly region known for its drugs and smuggling. The murderer from the March killing of a rancher near Douglas also remains unsolved.

***

We have had an unusual warm winter all month so far. I witnessed a spectacular Monday night meteorite shower while walking the dogs late that night. The Geminids were at their peak and I purposely delayed their nightly walk to watch the meteors. I counted 22 during the brisk 2.2-mile walk around the neighborhood, finishing with a very stiff neck as I kept my head up to the sky. I only tripped once while walking the dogs.

We got some overnight rain though, our first rain since October. The sun's not up yet so there's no telling if we got any snow on the peaks. I'm hiking up Miller Peak with a few others tomorrow and we are hoping for some snow.

I'll be leaving for Indiana on Tuesday. I have a van full of goodies this time, having bought C'mas presents since August. I dread the long drive since there's already so much snow east of Tulsa, and nightly lows into the 20s and 10s. Car camping and hiking won't be as much fun this time. I still have to plan my packing, get my stuff organized, clean out my office and turn recyclables and used clothes over to the respective charities that I'll be busy all weekend long.

I will be studying ahead during this break, learning more Spanish, reading up on Modern History and listening to more downloaded podcasts from the University of California. One can bash California for all its worth, it still has the best overall History podcasts out there. Its professors at San Diego, Berkeley and LA all have great courses to offer for free to the listening public.

I enjoyed my Medieval History and Women in Literature courses as well. Next semester I'm taking on History of Mexico post revolution, English Lit I, Biology I and Spanish 102. The one class that I need for my History concentration, however, is not offered next semester. That's where the UC podcasts will come in handy as I still plan on listening to the USCD courses on Modern History since 1648 because I still plan on taking the state exams in both History and English this coming spring. And who knows? Maybe Spanish will follow in a few years.

Next year is my last year of low-level courses. I will have taken all the courses I've been wanting to take. Unfortunately, the school district continues to cut back its resources and teachers continue to be laid off. I hardly worked this semester because of this. This was great for my studying time but not good for my spending money. Thankfully Kevin's raise went through and we are financially well off. With empty houses still lingering in our neighborhood, that is a good thing.

No comments: