Total Pageviews

Sunday, November 9, 2008

The eastern Santa Rita foothills











Today was a fun day in the Santa Ritas, a sky island recreation area south of Tucson. Mount Wrightson at 9431' stands out as the tallest summit in this range. Most people visit the peaks from the northwest as they come from the Old Pueblo. But for me the easist entry is from the southeast, from Sonoita.
I need to remind myself to come here more often. Canyons are interspersed with meadows, rolling grasslands, stockponds and dry creek beds.

I turned west (left) from SR83 to FR 92, a wide gravel road that travels due west. Then I branched off on another FR toward Kentucky Camp in a northwesterly direction, ascending as I moved over the curvy road.
The access road to the old mining town was closed and so instead just drove north on FR165 to the intersection of Box Canyon Road. I was heading too far north from the main mountains at this point, but got to see the terrain near the proposed (and very controversial) Rosemont Copper Mine that local environmentalists have been trying to cancel. A mine in this area would certainly ruin the beauty of the grasslands.
I wanted to explore little-known creek beds. But even in the remote areas I encountered hunters, hikers, ATVers and campers.

I returned on the same FR back to Kentucky Camp, then turned south on FR 4085, a road open to ATVs. It was quite passable for regular vehicles like mine. A few campers had parked under mature oaks and had themselves a hunting party.

The tall dry grasses swayed in the gusty winds. Dust Devils blew across the paths. The wind brought with it a little chill; darker clouds lay to the north. A few abandoned mines were off the trail here.

I went on several short hikes with the dogs but did nothing major today. I concentrated on the more remote areas as I was with the dogs and wanted to leave the hunters in peace. The area was popular today. ATVers also shared the roads with me.

I spent more time Four-wheeling than I did hiking or exploring. But I didn’t mind, as now I have a better idea of the roads in the eastern Santa Ritas.
The roads were in good shape considering signs warned explorers that the OHV trails "were not maintained for passenger vehicles." I maneuvered deep ruts, steep inclines, steeper descents, low-lying mesquites and rocky barriers on the forest trails. I was exploring FR4085 for five miles before it got too steep and rocky for me. The last thing I wanted to do was tumble down a remote cliff with three dogs in the backseat and no one knowing I was missing.

I had been in these foothills last March with the dogs and hiked up Cave Creek Trail. By the time I got to that trailhead today it was already too late to explore much. By 3:30pm the sun was setting low behind the peaks.

There is a ten-mile loop I want to explore and perhaps offer it as a hike to the club. There’s some rock climbing involved., but it ascends to the Florida Saddle with spectacular views of the Southeastern ranges.

No comments: