Total Pageviews

Monday, November 24, 2008

Under the weather




I came home Friday from school feeling the chills coming. Watery eyes and a sore throat followed. I've been drinking herbal teas with honey all weekend and hacking up phlegm balls.

I never caught a fever, though, although Kevin said I felt warm to the touch (my forehead) yesterday. We still explored a few OHV trails in the Santa Ritas on Saturday, and on Sunday I took the dogs up an illegal trail in Carr Canyon to do some trash clean-up. The three-mile trip took me an hour because I had to stop a few times uphill to catch my breath.

Many of the weathered backpacks and clothes had been torn open by animals. Down jackets were ripped exposing feathers, backpacks ripped open exposing threads and fibrous paddings. I only took back a few old backpacks and some light plastic bottles which I wrapped in a torn black plastic bag someone had once used to keep warm at night.


Deciduous trees in town are clearly in their prime colors now. Even my front yard is glowing yellow and reds.

I have been taking antihistamines at night for three days which put me into a deep sleep each night. But last night--it wasn't even that late--I heard a cat battle cry outside the back porch. Thinking it was Vinnie getting attacked I jumped up and ran outside, the dogs sprinted ahead of me and ran straight toward the vegetable garden which now is in a dark shadow of shrubbery. I called Vinnie's name but she didn't answer. I went to the front yard, called her name again, and still no answer. The dogs remained restless and I was expecting the worst. It was a year ago this week that we lost our beloved black cat Arthur, mouser extraordinaire and Schmuser to both humans and dogs.

Vinnie was sleeping by my feet this morning when I woke up. What a relief that was to see her pretty grey face leaning against the warm blanket.

I got no work done on my finals this weekend. I just couldn't concentrate and would drift off in a dreamy state.

I am glad the school didn't call this morning. I'm still drinking tea with honey but need to head into town today to get my passport photos taken. I will also try to get the passport paperwork finished as well. Another trip into Mexico is planned this weekend and I need to be somewhat prepared.

Now the morning news programs are playing Christmas songs. It's too early for me to get into a holiday mood. The drive back to Chicagoland frightens me only because of the long, cold journey there across this country's most boring landscapes: grey flatlands, grey skies, barren trees and icy roads. Chicago already had its first snow last week. The only good thing about driving the 1800 miles (one way) are the cheaper gasoline prices. Unleaded regular dropped to $2.09 locally on Sunday when it was still $2.29 on Thursday, $2.19 on Friday.

We still have Thanksgiving to overcome. Mom and I are meeting for dinner somewhere. I don't have the energy to clean up the house beforehand.

Sometime this week I must also get my garden prepared for the winter months: ten-foot long PVC pipes stretched across the garden beds would hold up the clear plastic tarps. These tarps would be clamped down with plastic holders. This should keep the vegetables warm enough even when it dips into the 20s this winter.

Rain and colder temperatures are expected by Wednesday, with possible snow in elevations above 6000 feet.

No comments: