Total Pageviews

Thursday, November 13, 2008

Huachuca Canyon












I’ve had a busy two days, but still managed short jaunts into the foothills for quick walks with the dogs. Yesterday I walked up an isolated wash with the dogs where I met two other women with two frolicking Golden Retrievers. They were cleaning up trash left behind by hunters.

Today I took the dogs up Huachuca Canyon. I used to spend a lot of time here when I was stationed at Fort Huachuca. A quick drive during my lunch hour up this canyon was often the one respite I needed during a busy day.

My mother walked her dogs up this canyon years ago. Today it was my turn to walk my dogs. I took them up a game management road where no one was parked. We climbed up a steep and rocky trail before the dogs got tired. The Huachucas were especially colorful here. Finches and jays flew about, enjoying the water and the lushness of the stream..

We finished off our romp at a small creek near a picnic area. I actually took a few photos of myself, but it was hard keeping the dogs at bay as they kept wanting to be by my side. Most of the self portraits have dog butts in the foreground.

In the evening I stopped by the high school where the Forest Service had an information briefing about its new revision plan. I came because I am curious about access to the wilderness. Ranchers came because they wanted the Forest Service to know they had the right to graze their cattle in the forest.

“My family has owned that land for over 140 years” said one Stetson-hatted rancher, “and I feel we have a right to that land”

With all the cattle I’ve seen in some of the most remote areas of the forest, there is no denying that cows and their BS rule the lands around here.
___
The spring semester classes have been published by Cochise College. The two teaching courses that I absolutely need for my certificate are not offered. That really bummed me out. I may have no choice but to take those courses via an on-line forum. I much prefer a standard classroom environment for effective teaching and have never taken an internet course.
However, the college does offer a few electives I am considering: Poisonous animals of Arizona (to fulfill the naturalist in me), Native Peoples of the Southwest, and American Writers. There are also no horticultural courses offered, either. Classes end 12 May. That would give me (barely!) enough time to race to Chicagoland for the birth of Erin's baby. I'll be spending the second half of May and all of June in the Chicago area...without the dogs. That's going to be the tough part.

No comments: