Total Pageviews

Tuesday, March 3, 2009

A "fun" day in town

With today off to run some important errands, I spent the early morning gardening, marveling at all the early growth. All the fruit trees are in bloom and the Santa Rosa Plum tree is even leafing.

I collected enough dead leaves and grass to fill a 30-gal bin. I scalped a sickly rose bush.

More books that I ordered arrived today, including two I got free via the Amazon Vine program (The Vine program through Amazon is a great deal for any bibliophile such as myself. I get free books of my choosing and all I have to do in return is write creditable reviews about them on amazon.com)

The afternoon began with a trip into town to arrange for medical appointments both for Kevin and for myself. K's high BP leads me to believe what he's really suffering from is diabetes; the doctor told him several years ago he was pre-diabetic.

The Texas Mountain Laurel that line Highway 92 near Highway 90 are in full purple bloom. What a beautiful little shrub-tree those plants are.

It being Tuesday, I stopped by Hastings Books to check out the latest DVD rentals. I chose "Australia" today starring Nicole Kidman and Hugh Jackman. I pulled out of my parking space when I looked to my driver's side left and saw a blonde woman in a low-cut blue t-shirt approaching me. I thought I had hit her (or came close to it) so I stopped the truck and rolled down the window.

She, instead, was yelling at me about my Obama bumpersticker. "Did you vote for him? Are you fucking happy now?" and she turned around and walked with her two kids and another blonde woman into the store. Was I happy? Well, I wasn't too keen on any of the bank and automaker bailouts...

OK, this is the second time in six weeks I've been berated about my bumpersticker. First I had Fat Cowboy flip me off and today I had "Ann Coulter" yelling at me. This time I opted to challenge the woman and pulled back into a parking spot and went back inside the store.

"Ann" was in the video section looking for a game to rent for her son. I came right up to her and as soon as she realized who I was, she went ballistic and went into Curse Overdrive. But this time she was yelling at me and calling me a stalker and a psycho, although I kept calm. All I wanted was her name. She refused to give it to me.


"You wanna talk? Let's go outside." I took her on her offer. I still wanted to know why she was so pissed at me and what it was that she hates about Obama. As soon as we got outside, she stopped screaming, most likely because she didn't have an audience anymore.


"Don't you read the news, woman? You elected a MUSLIM as president!" Is that what she was so upset about, that Obama was a Muslim? Where did she get that news?
"Don't you read the news Are you stupid?"
"I read my news" I reassured her. "Where do you get your news?"
"The internet!"

Ohgod, I thought, I have a loonie on my hands. She probably reads ultraright-wing trash by the likes of Ann Coulter, Michael Savage or that really fat guy Rush Limbaugh.

"There's all kinds of trash on the internet, can't you do better than that?"
"I listen to Fox News." Ohgod, now I knew she was really loonie.


I went back inside the store with her but now she was accusing me of stalking and screamed at a cashier to get me out. I left at this point, knowint that Ann Coulter could possibly get even more violent. She did the cussing and screaming at me, I was the one who was calm and when the cashier quietly told me I could not be "harassing customers" I reminded her that I had been a Hastings customer just a few minutes prior to the verbal assault in the parking lot.


"Ann" seemed a little nervous now. My truck was two spaces down from her new silver Honda Civic and she sped off across the parking lot like a bitch out of hell. I truly had never encountered such a person in public until today. Twice now I've encountered Obama haters and with "Ann" her hatred was grossly misplaced.


The afternoon ended nicely with a quick visit to the library for more books on my subject matter, and a stop at Fry's to pick up some more healthy snacks like carrots and celery, skim milk and various cereals.


One of the students that I subbed for was there with her newborn girl, a tiny little girl weighing just 6.4 pounds. She recognized me and after a quick chat we departed, wishing each other well and hoping we would see each other again.


The store was packed as I signed out, and due to a $10 overcharge ended up waiting in the customer service line for 20 minutes for my refund. That's how I managed to spend over AN HOUR in the grocery store.


The incident at Hastings with "Ann Coulter" made me think of a conversation I had with two seniors last week. We were comparing Bisbee to Sierra Vista, both the town and its people. One man said that "People in Bisbee are rude!" but I and the other man had to disagree. Sure, there are rude people everywhere but I honestly feel that the majority of rude people are here in Sierra Vista and Fort Huachuca.
___
http://www.azstarnet.com/sn/hourlyupdate/282598.php

No comments: