Total Pageviews

Saturday, March 7, 2009

Sadie's First Birthday

After a fun day of teaching French I and II yesterday (and actually TEACHING rather than just "subbing") I went over to WalMart to get Saddie some treats for her birthday. Although my purchase was mostly tomato plants, soil and a new green pot for another round of sweet peppers, the "treats" alone were $25 for various rawhides, "snack sticks" and pig ears, I threw in a bag of gourmet dog food for $15 and a bag of puppy food for $12 and five cans of Alpo for 68 cents each...the total bill was over $115. Holy shit!

And Saddie, I've realized, has got to put on some weight. Although she runs like an Olympian K-9, her ribs still stick out. She hasn't put on ANY weight despite getting taller. I have to wonder if the two big dogs keep her from eating? I gave Saddie her own bowl last night, with a fresh can of Alpo on top of the gourmet dog food, and she wolfed that down in a few seconds, the entire time watching for the two other dogs.

I will continue this ritual of feeding her separately outside...that way I know she's getting her calories that she needs and that Sara or Sammy don't need.

It was a windy afternoon yesterday, and an even windier evening. The walk with the dogs was "fun" as we could see sand blowing across the valley. That wildfire northeast of Douglas surely got bigger overnight; what started out at 1500 acres on Tuesday doubled to 8000 on Wednesday, 16,000 on Thursday...

The rain clouds that teased us all day simply blew past us and dumped its load over northeastern Arizona and northern New Mexico and all of Colorado instead. Those areas are already in severe drought conditions so I don't mind, but if this dryness down here continues a little longer we're going to go up in flames, too.

It's still windy out and the weather report predicts wind for three more days. I may end up staying home again today to garden. I have a midterm to finish as well. Maybe tomorrow I can take time out for a short hike in the Huachucas.

Kevin's still on his cereal diet. He's been on it for a week and claims to have lost nine pounds already. (I lost one pound). He's been sober for that whole time as well. No wonder he's lost nine pounds. His normal intake of six to eight beers a day would equate to over 1000 calories he's cut back on. I'd be so happy if he never touches another can of Bud Lite for the rest of his life...

http://www.azstarnet.com/metro/283260

No comments: