Total Pageviews

Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Quiet in the House

Kevin left early Monday morning for his week-long trip with a few co-workers to Gila Bend. The wind howled and I was nervous about him driving in the winds. It wasn't any calmer today, with gusts up to 40mph.

It's quiet here with him gone. Granted, by the time I get home from class he's usually in bed anyway, but he falls asleep to the radio and I'll hear the radio from the living room and computer area. But these last few days it's been quiet and I'm sure even Vinnie misses her "dad" as she likes to sleep between his legs.

But perhaps it's best he's not here as I've been stressing about the midterms. I got my Anthro midterm back on Monday: 97%. I got my Diversity in the Classroom midterm back last Thursday: 99%. And today I got my Intro to Special Ed midterm back with 96% and "Excellent!" written in fluorescent pink. I was so relieved from all that stress I just wanted to leave the classroom and scream with joy. One student got an "F" and two got "Ds." How can that be?!?! Some people just don't put any effort into their education.

Amira and I did our debates tonight and we did very well. The topic was very controvertial as I had to talk about the pros of medical abortions of severely-deformed fetuses. We both used photographs of deformed babies in the end, holding them up as if we were politicians campaigning for separate causes. My photograph was of a severely anencephalic fetus missing its cerebrum; a very disturbing visual. But there are other severe deformities that doom a fetus to certain stillbirth or death shortly after birth.

Amira, bless her heart, was so nervous about the debate but in the end we hugged each other with joy after the instructor's compliments. We had conquered the most controvertial topic in the class, and most of our debate was free-flow, meaning it wasn't read off any script but recited from memory. I had started my research on this a few weeks ago anyway, so that no matter what Amira said, I could counterpoint it. I just had to remember all the numbers and percentages for the right subjects.

I love research and can't wait to do it for real for my Master's, which is why the high grades mean so much to me.

Now that the debate is over I can concentrate on my Apache project and my last book report project for my Diversity class.

Saturday I have some Master Gardener volunteering to complete so Sunday means I can take time out for myself and do a nice hike again. Dos Cabezas. Miller Peak, Mount Wrightson? Who knows? I'm even considering exploring Davidson Canyon from Highway 83.

Vinnie was gone all day and she had me worried. I last saw her last night after giving Reina her meds. I saw her again tonight as I got home from class. Whew! What a relief to know she didn't fall victim to the tallons of a hungry great horned owl, the fangs of a coyote or the bites of a vicious dog. At least for now. She really is a cute cat I hope to have for many more years.

As for Sara, she is still limping. I took her on a short, slow hike with the other two dogs for a 1.5-mile walk around the neighborhood. She did fine until the last .4 mile, so we went straight home. What she needs is complete rest off her leg, but how does one keep a dog on "rest" when she will burst out into the backyard to chase utility trucks that drive in the back alley? She defends her house with 110% determination. I admire that old girl for her love and devotion but I also know she needs to take time out to heal.

No comments: