Total Pageviews

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Swine flu scare

Confirmed cases of swine flu have now reached 68 people in the US alone. Only cases in Mexico have resulted in any deaths. Needless to say it’s become the new hot topic in the news. Confirmed cases yesterday alone doubled from 20 to 40 to 46; today it’s been steady at 68. If it reaches 120 tomorrow I may start getting nervous, especially if the four suspect cases from AZ come back positive for the virus.

Nonetheless, when Kevin left for work yesterday I wished him well and reminded him to be careful. “Don’t come home with any broken bones!”
“Don’t come home with the swine flu!” he shot back.

And today, subbing for a sixth grade class at my favorite middle school, I had to talk about the Black Death and the new swine flu. The kids were all ear when I told them what I know about the swine flu, information I had gotten this past week reading all the news articles on it. Showing them how quickly people could be infected by the virus (by coughing or sneezing in front of some one) they looked alarmed.

But until there are confirmed cases in Arizona or Sonora I reminded them to not panic. The disease has to multiply much faster and travel much further away to make a global impact.

I think my presentation sunk in. I liked the class, and except for 4th hour I enjoyed giving them my knowledge; many more listened to me than ignored me. It was a productive day.

As soon as I got home I resumed my gardening. Our potatoes are multiplying and in three months we should have our first real harvest of our own home-grown spuds. Kevin dedicates much time in the vegetable garden now, unlike previous years. I think he’s secretly getting ready for the big apocalypse when we are all sick of the swine flu, the borders are closed and the military installation is quarantined and no one can work. (If this swine flu gets any more serious then at least it will hit threatening levels after school has let out)

I took all three dogs out for another three-mile walk around the neighborhood again. Sara’s limp is gone and she seems just as ornery as ever; sometimes she reaches over to Sadie and nips her face.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/29/health/29flu.html?ref=americas
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/26/world/americas/26mexico.html?ref=americas

No comments: