Total Pageviews

Saturday, August 22, 2009

More rain

(I had a great week in Baltimore but I wrote about that on my other blog)

It rained hard last night for several hours, so I excitedly got up to pull more weeds, mostly puncture vine and Love Grass. That stuff grows like, uh, weeds.

More rain is forecasted for today and Sunday.

But speaking of rain, late yesterday afternoon, sitting at the computer composing a paper, the sister of our neighbor came over. She had her two kids with her and was acting restless. She needed to get to the store for some stuff. I didn't ask what she needed, and after cleaning out the passenger seat and putting the rear seats up for her two kids, I took her to the nearby country store.

What did she buy? Three bottles of white wine and a packet of Newports. Then, out of gratitude for my taking her to the store, she insisted on getting me wine or beer. I wasn't really in the mood for either since I just got over a cold and was taking antihistamines, but she insisted. So I picked out a six-pack of Corona.

By then the rain began to fall so I dropped her off at her house. She was grateful for me and invited me in. We chatted a while. Her husband died in April in a car crash. She's receiving a monthly SSN check and with that she can live on. Her sister (the renter) is unexpectedly pregnant and she flew here from MA to be the live-in babysitter when the baby's due. But that also means that she is moving into town to be closer to her job and the house will be vacant once more in September.

I liked this woman but I was uncomfortable seeing her so drunk. She spoke coherently, but it was her body language that was so out of synch. She'd move her head around like a blind man, closing her eyes to gather her thoughts.

She loves it here. And I'm happy to know she is close to her sister. And I told her that if she needed my help again, to just drop on by. Still, I felt uncomfortable seeing her so out of whack in front of her kids.

No comments: