Total Pageviews

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Another semester coming to an end

Although we have three weeks left, I feel the end is near. It wasn't so chaotic this time around, but I also only took three courses. So far, so good.

But then I wanted to sign up for more classes today but was denied registration for two of them (both history classes) because I hadn't taken a required reading comprehension test yet! Oh. My. God. A person with my grades and my English abilities has to take a reading test? The counselor would not budge. (Previous ones saw my grades and were more common sensical and signed me up for the courses anyway. Not this woman.). Cochise College is so discouraging when it comes to bright, talented students. I feel like I am treated like a kid. I hope UA is much better.

So next Thursday at 3pm I'm scheduled to take a reading and a math test. I need to see where my math abilities are before I can even sign up for the elementary algebra course next semester. The sooner I take that placement exam, the sooner I can register for it.

My Spanish 102, English 201 and Biology 101 classes are all online. I'm not so sure I'm going to enjoy the online Spanish class. How can one effectively learn a language without regular human interaction?! My counselor wanted to assure me that on-line classes is what the current generation prefers. If that's the case, the current generation is going to have problems at regular jobs if they can not interact normally.

This whole idea of having to take a placement reading exam just urks me. Is this just a Cochise College requirement, to make sure it doesn't allow non-English-comprehending students from taking reading/writing intensive classes or is this a state-wide requirement?

I'll need to remain upbeat.

Although I've enjoyed the classes this semester and the classmates I've had, I've gotten burned out by all the studying. Kevin thinks I overdo it. (He told me when we were in Florida that I take the classes way too seriously). He'd like to take an American History class but doesn't want to have to write papers "After I've seen how you write all the time." He has a point. My office looks like I've got research and scholarly papers all over the place. Part of that is me throwing the papers on the ground, part of it is from the cat knocking stuff off the desk. As soon as this semester is over, I'm cleaning house. I can't stand the mess.

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving. We are expecting the coldest holiday in 30 years, with freezing temperatures in the valley tomorrow overnight.

Meanwhile, North Korea blasted artillery toward a South Korean island yesterday morning, killing two South Korean soldiers. My history instructor fears a WWIII will break out in that part of Asia before this week is over. I hope not. We have American troops there along the DMZ risking their lives for another country's people.

No comments: