Total Pageviews

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Blackett's Ridge at moon rise


Blackett's Ridge is what Bill calls "the toughest little hill in Tucson" and I agree. I had always been wanting to do this six-mile ridgeline walk in Sabino Canyon, and when a hiker led this hike tonight at moon rise, I jumped at the opportunity. Now I wish I could have seen the beauty during the daytime and am determined to come back to this pretty area soon!

I didn't leave the house until 4pm, passing Kevin as he was on his way home from work. I was feeling tired, and there were several construction areas along I-10 that slowed me down. I didn't get to the northeast side of Tucson until 1:45 hours later. It normally takes me 1:20 hours. Temps were in the 80s with mostly clear skies.

prefer getting off Houghton Road when I drive to the east side, drive northbound for ten miles, then turn west on Speedway until that hits Tanque Verde Avenue. This is such a pretty part of Tucson, with stately homes on small hilltops and lots of green trees. I have to say this is the prettiest part of the entire city.

The hike was to start at 7pm with a moonrise at almost 8pm, but I found I was quickly in the back of the pack of 16 taking photos; it had been too long since I was in Sabino Canyon, I had forgotten how pretty it is here, and all the things one can photograph. The saguaros were in bloom and cactus wrens flitted about. Before I could even get my lens focused, the group was ahead and soon I lost them.

I admit, I have gotten out of shape this past semester! I felt it tonight. But dear Bill stayed with me, his headlamp lighting the path. I had my lamp inside the backpack but I never took it out for some reason, wanting to wait until I got to the top. By the time we got there over 1:30 hour later (!) most were already on the descent.

This wasn't a good hike to meet new people by as the individual pace didn't allow for much socializing. This was one of those go-out-and-back-at-your-own-pace type of hike. I will try to make more of these Tucson hikes, though, as there are so many corners of that city I haven't explored yet.



No comments: