Total Pageviews

Monday, May 23, 2011

Our newest fire: the Arlene fire


This one started this morning around 9:30am just north of Lochiel in Parker Canyon. I saw the first waves of smoke billow over the Huachucas as I was driving home from the high school around 10:30am. It's now already 4000 acres and with the winds we've been having, will grow stronger. This one makes me a little nervous because a few strong hot embers could get the western Huachucas aflame. I may plan an evacuation if the winds continue.

The highlight was around 4pm as dense, dark brown smoke rose over the ridge and into the San Pedro valley over Sierra Vista. We live south of town so we were actually spared the smoke, and I got to see how the strong winds carried the smoke over the ridgeline and into town.

We are being engulfed in fires! The Horseshoe Fire2 is now over 40,000 acres big and still only 20% contained, but that fire has now crested over the ridge and has now started burning in the western slopes of the Chiricahuas.

An F4 tornadp ripped through the southwestern Missouri town of Joplin. It's right off I-44 near the Oklahoma state line. I drove through there at night on my way up to Chicagoland last December. The tornado has now claimed 116 lives with people still missing. The photos on the nightly news are devastating.

Like Kevin said today, "We've had killer tornadoes, extreme floods and lingering storms, all we need now is a massive earthquake along the New Madrid fault" to complete the disasters. If I were a believer I'd say this is the start of that Rapture due by this October.

As for me and my summer plans, I'm still in limbo, but I may have to cancel the trip to Chicagoland not so much because of gas prices (which now are supposed to drop by up to twenty cents in the next week or so; it's down to $3.64 in town), but the constant threat of fires this side of the mountains. I can't leave Kevin alone with all these pets and cars in our driveway.

No comments: