Total Pageviews

Sunday, May 1, 2011

Obama got Osama!

Granted, our servicemembers are the ones who got him, but it was under Obama's watch. I was at the computer chatting via Facebook when the kitchen TV announced that Osama was either killed or captured. I was elated. Newsfeed exploded with headlines that Osama was killed. Cheers went across Cyberia. The #1 terrorist these last ten years is finally dead. I know a new #1 will pop up, but for now I want to celebrate this man's demise. His death will bring closure to many families who lost a son or daughter thanks to al-Qaeda.

Obama's national speech was short. It came on around 9pm. I must say he looked very presidential, very confident, very relieved. He looked, shall I say, presidential again. He hadn't looked this good since his campaign. Perhaps things will look up for us finally as a nation; we finally have something to be proud of. This has been lacking so far under Obama.

I cried with joy. This ugly chapter in our history is now over. This announcement explains why earlier today we got an email from Pat Call, the county's District 1 supervisor, that the post is on heightened alert indefinitely. With the recent bombings in Libya we have to be extra cautious.

Osama's news certainly added some cheer to an otherwise quiet weekend. This is my last weekend I'll be inside studying. Starting later this week, I'll be free to get back into shape and train for the California backpacking trip. I've put on some weight this semester from lack of any real hiking.

It was almost 20F cooler today than on Friday, when it was 73F at 7am. It stayed in the 60s all day with high winds blowing. The Bull fire near Nogales continues to grow although the wind kept the haze away from us today.

I have one more final and for three months I get to do all the reading I want to do. I have close to 40 books I need to read and review for the book galley.

The end is near for me. Hopefully this is my last semester at Cochise. If I get that full-time position this fall, I will cancel my Intermediate Spanish class and focus on my English and History courses.

I took the dogs on a quick walk up Hunter canyon. I noticed green leaves on the oaks finally. This is also a good sign. Still, K and I will sit down and discuss fire evacuation procedures should we get a fire on this side of the mountains.

http://ht.ly/1crpss

We are now in May. The first part of the year is almost over. I told K at the start of this year that there are many changes due us as a family and as a nation. I feel we still have some sadness and grief as a nation (and as a family) and that there are some big changes coming on that are NOT related to the Mayan calendar and the 2012 conspiracy.

Maybe Obama was right about his "Change is coming."

No comments: