Total Pageviews

Monday, October 20, 2008

Ash and Lutz Canyon



I was still exhausted from Saturday's hike the next morning and wanted to do something low-energy: I went with Kevin up Ash and Lutz canyons in his pick-up. This twin canyon system is only six miles from our home and a few miles south of Hunter canyon where we normally go to exercise the dogs.
Ash and Lutz canyons, because of their southern and eastern locations in the Huachucas, are popular pick-up points for illegal border crossers. Trash was evident along the creek and in shaded areas.
Together we picked up brass shellings left behind by target shooters and hunters. We were in the shaded canyons for almost three hours. The dogs enjoyed romping around in the cool creek water and I just enjoyed being outdoors, taking a break from writing my mid-term paper on the Arizona Constitution.

We brought back a lot of brass in various calibers. Although most of the shellings were from .22 pistols, there was enough .45 and 9mm shells as well.

"When are you going to turn in all that brass for money?" I asked him.

"In about ten years, when the price for brass sky rockets!" he said.

Most of the shells were around camp sites, but many were also corroded from having been in the ground for a long time. We left much more behind, to collect another day. It was just nice to get out with Kevin and enjoy the beautiful autumn day.

One man, hiking alone with his chocolate Lab puppy, climbed up Ash Canyon behind me and the dogs while Kevin stayed behind at the campsite. The little pup was a little afraid of our dogs and barked once out of fear, but I assured the owner that our dogs are more curious than mean (I wouldn't own a mean dog, let alone go hiking with one off leash!)

"Be careful on this trail, this is a popular one for illegals!" I warned him.
"I know, I come here all the time" he replied.
Kevin told me later that the man was hiking up to the Crest Trail (a 3.5-mile steep hike) and that his wife would be picking him up six hours later in Copper Canyon, to the south of the ridge.
When we got home in the mid afternoon I continued writing my mid-term, finishing the 15 pages at 8pm and spending more time researching more on the Arizona constitution. I enjoyed writing this paper and learned more along the way about my adopted homestate. Arizona has one awesome constitution and perhaps the most direct democracy system in the country. I have to admit I am proud to be an Arizonan.

No comments: