Total Pageviews

Monday, October 13, 2008

BRRR, It's cold!

The rains that fell Friday night into Saturday morning brought with it a cold front. It was 44F yesterday at 6am. Today it was 39F at the same time. I could feel the cold sneak in from the open backdoor where the dogs run into the garden. It's time to dig out my sheepskin slippers!

I was expecting this cold, as autumn rains quickly bring in the cold that only keeps getting colder. The grasshoppers in the garden are getting more sluggish. The nectarine trees and blueberry bushes are starting to change colors. And I still have the fall garden to plant.

And that is what I did this weekend. While Kevin was diligently cleaning out the kitchen and his personal display case, I was outside pulling weeds still soft from the heavy rains, sowing cabbage, spinach, beets and turnip seeds, and pulling out the dead corn stalks. There is still so much to do. The cold reminds me that I have to winterize the garden, too: I need clear plastic tarp to help keep the growing vegetables warm when it gets really cold next month.

I took all three dogs up the illegal trail in Carr Canyon yesterday. I haven't been there since late this spring. There was more trash left behind, and I brought back down what I could, using a black garbage bag an illegal left behind. With the severe downturn in our economy, it's amazing that so many people are still daring to sneak across the border. What kind of jobs could they possibly get here?

One good tidbit of news: the local gas station off Highway 92 is now selling gas for $3.29! It was $3.36 a week ago, before that $3.44 for a long time. Now that I'm no longer subbing in Bisbee I won't be gassing up as often, but now I can rest assured that my Christmas drive back to Indiana won't be too expensive. But anything can happen until then. We still have the presidential elections to survive.

No comments: