Total Pageviews

Friday, January 18, 2008

Copperas Cove Classic Road Race this Saturday

http://teambicyclesinc.org/TBiClassic.htm

Cove is sponsoring the year's first road race for Team Bicycles right here in town tomorrow. Weather doesn't look too good, "wintry" is still in the forecast, but it may hit 48F tomorrow with the sun back out. If I hadn't made any plans already I'd have tried my luck on the 49-mile loop route. I've ridden part of this loop two months ago when I bought my Trek1200 road bike; 26 miles later my ass was grass after not being on a bicycle for over three years.

This is a very popular race and always has a good turn-out. In fact, Copperas Cove is a very cycle-friendly town, with several Farm-to-Market roads with wide shoulders meandering through this friendly town of 29,592 (according to the town's sign I pass every day). When I rode part of this route I could still see the various painted arrows on the shoulders, clearly marking the routes for the cyclists.

The gently-rolling hills seemed like mountains to me. So either I was in poor shape or I'm simply getting too old...I want to think it's more the former. Perhaps I can still do this loop on my own right before I leave Texas and start my trip...which may not be until Monday, February 11 now.

Update (24 Jan 08) There were over 300 cyclists in this year's Cove Classic, up from 75 last year when cyclists endured near-freezing weather.
http://www.kdhnews.com/news/story.aspx?s=22252

No comments: