Total Pageviews

Monday, May 26, 2008

Memorial Day near Tucson

Shortly after we got home yesterday I called my mother to confirm our day together. Nothing special was planned. "Just come as you are, and we will improvise!" said my mom over the phone.

"Did you see the Mars landing?" she went on. The landing was broadcasted live on KVOA-Tucson, and scientists were celebrating the successful landing of the red planet by the Phoenix Mars Lander, a project that was designed and researched right here at the University of Arizona in Tucson. The success of this project, akin to a NASA landing, is big news for Arizonans.

But there was more my mother wanted to tell me. "Try to come over between nine and 10" she went on, "as I want to take you guys out on the lake with our kayaks."

Kayaks? I thought. The last time I was in a boat was in New Jersey, in my inflatable raft with my son Eric on Lake Pemberton, trying to show him out to use the paddles correctly. I was a total failure.

"Mom, we're going around in circles!" said Eric exasperatedly.

No comments: