Total Pageviews

Thursday, May 8, 2008

"You feel like going camping somewhere next week?"

Kevin asked me last night. "Next weekend I have a three-day weekend and we haven't gone anywhere since Easter weekend."

My first choice was Mt. Graham, a 10,700'-peak mountain just outside Safford in the Pinaleno mountain range, the tallest skyislands in souteastern Arizona. We have never been in those mountains.

"Sure, sounds great to me!" The drive alone would be breath-taking, starting from Safford's 3000' and rising to the mountain ridgeline of 9000+'. Panoramic vistas can be seen along the way. The Pinas also have a few perennial streams the dogs could enjoy.

I am so stoked about hiking up mountains. Trails I am interested in are Ash Creek and Heliograph Peak trail, a close-by waterfall and whatever other short trails we can find along the Swift Trail, the mountain-forest road off AZ366.

I've already done some trail research on that area. Several trail reports have revealed that snow can be found in May at higher elevations, and campground temperatures at night may be near freezing.

We'd also have to be cautious of black bears and mountain lions; both live in those peaks.

No comments: