Total Pageviews

Monday, August 11, 2008

Another slow weekend

With the Beijing Olympics in full swing and reports that we would get rained out again, we stayed at home. I weeded the yards which are growing fast with various weeds; some patches in the back yard are back-to-back infested with Russian thistle. On Sunday Kevin never left the couch and atched the games all day long from a horizontal position while I walked the dogs for three miles along the frontage road. Sadie is turning into a super dog and obeying commands.

Today I volunteered at the extension office again. I had planned to work 10am-2pm but ended up working from 11am to 4:20pm, overwhelmed with phone calls and email. It's the season of the Sphinx moth popping up everywhere. (We pulled 12 hornworms from our own garden this weekend, from our tomatoes and pepper plants)

I never did finish all the questions and will go back there for tomorrow morning for a few hours. I hate leaving clients waiting. Joyce, the extension administrator, said I am one of two dedicated volunteers this summer. Donna, the other Master Gardener, works on Wednesdays.

So, from crown gall on Chinaberry trees, to stunted clustered new growth on sage, rosemary and ash trees, dying grape vines, more Sphinx moths and chiggers in the back yard, this summer has proven to be busy for MGs.

Still, Jim still reminds me that I still have a life elsewhere. I can't allow myself to get burned out. I will do this volunteering for as long as I can because I do elarning about the gardening here, helping others and trying new things.

Tomorrow is the highlight of the Perseid meteor showers, starting after 1:45am (moonset) to dawn tomorrow. The sky is partly cloudy riight now, but I hope to catch a few meteors early in the moring while sipping my coffee.

Russia and Georgian forces are fighting each other in Georgia since Friday. The big talk is that the fighting could escallate. Lucky for me I don't have to worry about getting sent anywhere to fight someone else's war.

No comments: