Total Pageviews

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

My second class

After a morning of gardening--a task that never seems to end--I went to the college and sat in a course that I had to audit first through the instructor, Teaching Methods for English as a Second Language Learner. It's a required course now for all Arizona Teachers.

It was intimidating sitting in that class. Besides a counselor, a principal, a sub teacher and a sign language for special ed, I am the only non-teacher at this time. But the instructor, Beth Colburn, and a fellow middle-school teacher, Margarite, made me feel at home and we were the last three to talk after class.

I am the only one in class with any real-life second-language acquisition, and those painful memories from my childhood in Berlin's Carsten Grunschule are coming back to me.

It's going to be an exciting course. Beth promised me I won't be left out. Margarite told me the same. Margarite even cried a bit when she remembered her brother who was killed in Vietnam. Watching her made Beth's and mine eyes teary as well. No doubt both are very passionate about teaching. They will keep me in high spirits.

This gives me six credits for the semester. Tomorrow morning I have to go back to campus and add the two courses. It's more than enough for me now. At this point I am glad I am not working full-time.

No comments: