Total Pageviews

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Hunter Canyon

We took all three dogs up Hunter Canyon an hour before sunset. That is still my favorite little hideout. The two older dogs knew the routine, but Sadie was excited.

The dogs jumped out of the truck at the trailhead. Kevin drove the pick-up up the forest road while I powerwalked up the trail to catch up to him at Kelly Springs .7 miles up the road. The dogs ran after the truck while Sadie kept stopping to look back at me. She finally caught up to the big dogs at Kelly Springs Then I jogged the mile back and the dogs joined me. They all got a good work-out.

I know the dogs should be on leashes at all times, but watching them get some energy out of their system and seeing them run free to me is still preferred. These dogs need to run hard and they can't burn off their energy efficient enough on a leash. When no one is around, I'd rather they be able to be dogs and run free. Yet I am always looking for other hikers or hunters in these forests.

All the trees that were dying of drought this past spring have sprung back to life. The old yellow leaves are now lush green across the forest. We escaped the fires for another year, whew.

No comments: