Total Pageviews

Saturday, December 27, 2008

Carr Canyon Road







Kevin made it home yesterday at 3:40pm, surviving high winds, sleeting rains and some snow. It snowed in Tombstone and Bisbee but not in our area.

We had our first overnight freeze. I brought all the citrus plants inside. This morning at 4:30am it was 24F. Two hours later it was the same. I couldn’t see the peaks until 8am to realize that we didn’t get any new snow in the higher elevation.

But by sunrise I was more concerned with the cold. It didn’t seem to get any warmer as the morning grew older. By 10am it was 26am. By noon it barely hit freezing. The dogs' metal water bucket had a 1/4" layer of ice.
Various seed-eating birds had gathered in the front yard to feast on a pound of seeds I had put outside; by the end of the day the seeds were gone and a new scoop-full of seeds went into the bowl.

The dogs were clearly wanting to get some exercise. They hadn’t had a serious walk since Monday. Sara was still limping, though, and thanks to Sam’s clumsiness, still hurting from a new scab he gave her when his paws stepped on hers.

By 2pm I couldn’t handle being housebound and took Sam and Sadie and drove up Carr Canyon Road, the highest mountain road in close proximity with great views of Sierra Vista and the San Pedro Valley to the east. The highest point on this road is the Ramsey Vista Campground at 7350' with trailheads to Carr Peak and the canyon below.
My plan was to stop at the snow line and let the dogs romp, but once on the seven-mile dirt road realized everyone in town had the same idea. Full-sized trucks, 4x4s and a few vans meandered uphill.

A full-sized Chevy pick-up with the license plate resembling a sign stating “For The Hunt” was ahead of me, driving slowly. The driver kept sticking his head out the open window to spit. He was going up to Reef Campsite to help some tourists who had gotten stuck up there.

Instead of snow, though, we hit ice as the road became steeper, more rutted and more narrow. This was not the place to lose control of a vehicle and tumble down the heavily-wooded cliffs!
The north-facing, lichen-spotted Carr Canyon Waterfall overlook became my turn-around spot. I let the dogs out (they showed their gratitude with two shit piles at the overlook) and explored around the icy waterfall.

I had never stopped here. There was no snow at this elevation of just under 7000’ but there was a trickle of water falling over the rocks. This intermittent waterfall is almost 200' long. The dogs seemed entranced by the frosty rocks and high mountain smells.

The distant Chiricahuas 60 miles to the east were snow-capped. San Jose Peak was not. The eastern slopes of the Huachucas were baren. All the local snow had fallen over Tucson and the Catalinas and Santa Ritas.

My Montrail Vector boots with the Vibram sole were slick on the wet ice. Even Sadie scared me momentarily when she slid down rocks near the waterfall. A Forest Service sign at the edge warned people not to go over the cliffs; over 30 people have fallen to their deaths here since 1945.

The road was busy with explorers driving up and down. I wasn’t expecting this crowd. I noted birders (the annual Christmas count took place today all throughout the area), rock climbers, explorers and people out taking photographs. The lack of solitude brough me back down the mountain faster than planned.

My little adventure didn’t take long. Shortly after 4pm I was back home to a warm house.

3 comments:

DBrack said...

I miss that area, though when I was young there was never much traffic going up there as you neeeded a 4x4 or a Motorcycle to get up there. Kind of makes me sad seeing the graffiti on the sign, Carr Canyon is a wonderful childhood memory and I would like to go back someday.

Anonymous said...

Niggers

Unknown said...

Your a piece of shit give me a call 2133060360