Total Pageviews

Sunday, December 14, 2008

Tucson and the 4th Avenue Street Fair





The winds continued to howl most of the morning. Dark clouds rolled over the mountains. I hesitated to drive to Tuscon with the high winds blasting but by 11:30am got on my way, with a bag of recycables in the back and Sammy by my side.

Sammy was a real champ today. Although it rained briefly as I
drove through eastern Tucson, once I got to the Downtown area it was dry...and quite cold. I parked two blocks west of the street fair across a dilapidated church (avoiding annoying parking fees) and walked along 4th Avenue several times north and south, taking photos of the colorful vendors and business facades.

There weren't too many people here as I thought there would be.

"It's too cold out today" said one street guard to me, as she sat huddled in a rain jacket and ear muffs. "The big crowd came yesterday."

Most people just walked up and down the street like I did, taking in the sites. Most of the vendors were craft vendors with artsy potteryware, and a few even sold tie-die clothes more appropriate for the 1960s. The 10'x10' white-tarp tent were erected one right next to the following tent, creating a scenery of white tarps. Vendors paid anywhere from $375 to $500 for the space.
I saw more than my share of old army fatigue jackets.
I stopped for about 15 minutes to listen to a good band, The Silver Thread Trio. Sammy seemed nervous around the loud music so I didn't stay long. The various genre of street musicians added a nice flair to the crowd, but I would have appreciated at least one band playing gentle holiday music.

I had at least five different people ask me if Sammy were part wolf. Since I honestly don't know, but had a vet who guessed him to have some wolf in him, I answered with "We don't know...we got him from the Bisbee shelter but my vet thinks he could be part wolf."

One lady told me she had a wolf hybrid once. "They are gentle dogs, but don't ever let anyone cross you or that wolf will be on that person's throat. They are very intelligent animals."

People wanted to pet Sammy, and he let them all touch him. One vendor from the Trinity Presbyterian Church gave him three overly-well-done hamburgers which he ate with delight, taking short breaks to sniff the black Lab that was nearby.

Sammy was hard to hold on to while I held my camera in my right hand and he pulled on the leash to try to smell the closest dog butt. Once I got away from the Street Fair and walked on lesser-crowded streets, he was more relaxed and more concerned with just peeing on every mesquite that he could find.
By 3pm the street fair seemed to have lost its luster. Several vendors were already packing up their remaining goods. The closing time was slated for 4pm. I left by 3:15pm.

It was cool outside, and grey overcast all day. A quick trip to the Presidio proved to be quite desolated of people except the homeless huddled around the Presidio. What a shame, as this area has so much potential with the Spanish colonial architecture and the colorful buildings. Beautiful cactus gardens were all over this part of town, shaded by mature palo verdes and acacias.
I fnished off the evening with a quick visit to Bookman's on Speedway and a jaunt across the street to the Trader Joe's, where I stocked up on Arizona and California microbrews for the holiday.
I left Tucson at 7:03 and arrived back home in 1:20 hours.

No comments: