Total Pageviews

Saturday, December 20, 2008

Hiking the Perimeter, Miller Creek and Clark Springs Trail


Last night I decided to stay in Arizona and cancel that 1700-mile trip to Chicagoland. I called the kids to let them know.

All stress immediately was gone. I’ll try again to fly home during spring break, which would be between the kids’ birthdays.

The decision to stay local over the icy, frigid weather back in Chicagoland allowed me to hike with the group today in the Huachucas. I didn't sign up for this hike in advance since I thought I would be on the road this morning, so I just showed up at the meeting place: Lower Carr Canyon picnic area.
Coincidentally the hike today was also the same route I did with the club four years ago at this time when we first moved here: A nine-mile loop using the Perimeter, Miller Creek and the Clark Springs Trail.

We (Hannah, Steve S, Steve Sch, Paul, Deah and I) started on the northern terminus of the Carr Canyon trailhead south along the Perimeter Trail (3.7m) down to Miller Creek, (1.5m). The views west of the Perimeter Trail into the valley were spectacular today with clear skies. Emory oaks and various grasses lined the trail, with elegant sycamores nestled in the lusher creek beds. An occassional soaptree yucca stood tall.
"I can see my house from here!" I said as we got closer to the Highway 92 and Hereford Road intersection.
By 10:45am we made it to the Miller Peak Road crossing. Here we briefly chatted with two scruffy guys camping from Washington State. One bearded loggerman was staring a fire. All four of their dogs were off leash. A mutt-looking Doberman came up to Sammy for a quick sniff but the dogs were pretty much docile. Deah still hid behind Steve as we walked passed the campers.

We rested at Beatty’s Orchard. I fed Sammy some of my Swiss cheese tortillas. Here we chatted with a family from South Dakota that was collecting pine branches off the trees (I wasn’t sure that was legal; I know that collecting plants or cutting trees is definitely a no-go, but because there was no mention of this on the National Forest board nearby, was hesitant to tell the folks.) Steve Sch went over to them to let them know they needed a permit to cut branches down.

We ate a quick snack and resumed the hike north along the Clark Spring Trail (2m) to Carr Canyon Road (1.5) where we walked the last miles downhill on the main road. We never hit the snow line although we could see snow further up along Miller Peak. Our highest elevation along the trail was 6100’ on the Perimeter and there was no snow in sight.

Hannah led today’s hike. Steve and Paul turned around at the Miller Canyon Trail, which left us four people: Hannah, Deah, Steve Sch and I. Sammy was on his leash the entire time and was a super champ, never barking or being a nuisance. He pulled a few times when he saw squirrels ahead on the trail, who would mischievously chatter from above a tree branch back down at Sammy. A few times I let him loose with his leash dangling while I fumbled with the camera, but he never left my side. He has become the perfect hiking dog.

Even Deah, who told me at the start that she feared dogs she didn’t know, warmed up to Sammy. She and I walked down Carr Canyon Road together and I listened to all her horror stories she had with cats and dogs.

Weather was nice the entire morning. There was no breeze, just cool shade along the way. Skies were mostly clear.

I could feel the sweat trickle down my t-shirt as we progressed on our hike. I wore two more layers over the cotton shirt that would have been too much hassle to take off, so I put up with the cold, wet layers sticking right up to my body.

We left at 9:15am and were back at our cars by 1pm. We traipsed up and down the foothills for just around 8.5 miles. I had forgotten how nice this part of the forest was, with the San Pedro Valley to our east, San Jose Peak to our southeast, and the shadows of Miller Peak right above us.

Steve S mentioned a hike up Miller Peak for New Year’s Day. I have not done that hike in three years, I am overdue! He wants to start the hike from Montezuma’s Pass, near the border. On a clear day one can see for miles into northern Sonora.

No comments: