Total Pageviews

Friday, December 5, 2008

The interview and time in town

I had to turn down a day in Bisbee yesterday for a mid afternoon interview in town. I didn't like doing that as I thoroughly enjoy the school's English department.

The school district is hiring "Guest Teachers" as they call substitutes there, and the interview was very professional. Although some of the questions caught me off-guard ("What are the three most important traits of a good teacher?") I answered quickly and honestly.

"We provide professional development for our Guest Teachers. Would you be willing to participate in this?"

Now to that I couldn't say no. The fact that the school district provides training to its Guest Teachers is commendable. That tells me it takes ALL its educators seriously. Perhaps this is why my classmates who teach in town frown on Bisbee.

The interview lasted 25 minutes and there was another person waiting as I left; the applicants had all been interviewed today all day. I have no idea if I stand a chance in getting hired, and I don't even know if I'd be happy at getting hired because my workload next semester is going to be hectic at best with three classes and the spring growing season starting again in mid February.

There is no doubt that my education courses have helped me become better at my trade. But I also admitted that my biggest weakness still is fine-tuning classroom management.

It was an overcast day yesterday with a cool breeze. I enjoy these overcast days as they tend to be uncommon here unless we are in monsoon season.

After the interview I stayed in town, staying at Hasting's books until 4:45pm to read pages of new releases. Even Hasting's is no longer the hang-out place it used to be, as people no longer linger on the couches to talk current events like they used to. I used to get writing ideas just from overhearing East Coast tourists talk about this region. This time around the only conversation I overheard was between two older people: a retired army man in his 70s and a white-haired woman standing nearby.

"Sally and I have over the years stopped making close relationships with people in our lives. That's what years in the military have done to us" said the man. If Sally was his wife I didn't know, as he was by himself in a couch paging through a magazine. The woman left and the old man stood up to leave.

My monthly Master Gardener's meeting was at 5pm on campus. Even that was weakly attended to although Jim my Mentor was there, along with Terri, Dee, Sarah and several other diehards. Woody and Brent, my classmates from the 2008 MG course were also there. Our volunteer schedule and classes will also kick in starting in mid January. I am registered for a seven-week water harvesting class that will meet on Saturdays.

And in mid February the annual High Desert Gardening and Landscaping Conference takes place. That will also keep me busy for that weekend.

Terri and Jim and I spoke about our gardens. Yes, all three of us still have tomatoes coming up. Cherry tomatoes tend to be willing participants in stray gardening and we have plenty of cherry tomatoes sprouting, but we are also getting larger varieties popping up. KVOA-TV said this morning that this has been the sixth warmest fall on record. Last year was the second warmest fall. Wonder what winter has in store for us?

http://cals.arizona.edu/cochise/mg/nnlpdf/09%20flier.pdf
http://www.svherald.com/articles/2008/12/05/news/doc4938c8cd7d436658614249.txt

No comments: