Total Pageviews

Monday, March 31, 2008

Aguirre Spring, Organ Mountains, NM







The Organ Mountains lie to the west of White Sands. Their craggy peaks have lured me for the past few years and on my way back to Las Cruces I felt compelled to drive up to the trailhead of this small but pleasant camping area. Two trails start at the campsite: the 4.5 mile Pine Tree Loop Trail with vistas of White Sands, and the six-mile (o/w) Baylor Trail that goes over and across the saddle to the other side of the range. I chose the shorter Pine Tree Trail for a quick leg-stretcher and hiked in a counter-clockwise direction. It was 12:45pm when I took off.

This was a lovely trail, typical of the skyland trails so popular in New Mexico. The loop trail's highest elevation is a mere 6880' but from there you can see the distant white sands of White Sands NM. The trail was wide enough for two people to pass each other carefully. Oaks and pines partially shaded this loop trail. The higher one got, the stronger the scent of pine became.

I like these high elevation trails. I was expecting to be more tired starting this hike, especially after yesterday's long march and then today's morning dash across the blowing winds in White Sands. Perhaps the pine scents and the bird calls enchanted me. I saw my first hummingbird of the season, as it hummed right past me to rest in a dead alligator junniper tree branch. It could have been the regional Magnificent Hummingbird, with its pronounced green-blue back feathers. It also made a loud crackle as it flew. (Most hummers I have seen and heard merely "hum" as they fly by) It's no surpise that I see a hummer in these peaks, as the Organ Mountains are on New Mexico's birding route.

Several people hiking the other direction passed me. All wore typical hiking gear while I was in shorts, t-shirt, my proverbial Coolmax cap and running shoes sans socks.

The crags became more pronounced the higher I got. Water trickled down one mountain side, providing refreshment to the wildlife surely living in these peaks.

Coming down this trail was easy and I made it back to the van just before 3pm. More hikers were coming up from the paved road. I waved at them and took off for my five-hour drive back home.

New Mexico is "The Land of Enchantment" for good reason. Three-forths of the state consists of forested skyislands interspersed with desert vallies. Its terrain is much like Arizona's but New Mexico takes better care of what is left of its pristine lands: its current governor has fought off Texas "land" developers ever since he took over the state's highest office. He is determined to save the last precious virgin lands. If Texans want to "develop" more land, let them tear down some of the run-down cities of Texas first and start over from there. JMHO

My drive back home was the same route I took coming out two days ago: Interstate 10 to Benson, then south on SR80. The sun had set shortly after reaching Deming, and the near new moon allowed for only some views of the mountain silhouettes. When it's this dark on the road I don't mind speeding down the interstate.

http://www.blm.gov/nm/st/en/prog/recreation/las_cruces/aguirre_spring_campground.html
http://www.explorenm.com/camping/AguirreSpring/

No comments: