Total Pageviews

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Smoky haze from Sonora, Mexico




Today driving home from my Master Gardener Class I noticed a brown haze over the mountains. It was actually a pretty sight, but I knew it wasn't a natural sight. It's probably (and hopefully) just smoke from fires Mexican farmers are setting to burn away dead brush before they start planting. With spring a day away, it's time to get growing!


The one natural disaster I dread every year is wildfires. If the Huachucas burn we could all get evacuated...what a nightmare.

I, too, will plant my tomatoes and peppers next week.

This afternoon I took the dogs on a fast ride down the street for three miles. Rather than walking with them they ran after me as I rode my Trek down the frontage road. Sara was pretty tired when we got back to the house and panted for a long time, but if I do this every day and boost the mileage the doggie blubber will melt away in no time!
With the two miles we walked in the morning the dogs have now had 5.5 miles today. Tomorrow I'll take them up for a 6-7 mile hike in the foothills so that the hikes in the Supes this weekend don't exhaust them too much.
Kevin bought frozen steaks for the dogs, pasta for us. The dogs will eat extra well after the hikes to replenish their tired muscles with good proteins. (It's no wonder the dogs love to go camping with us, as they know they always eat better "in the field" than they do at home.)

No comments: