Total Pageviews

Sunday, March 9, 2008

Mesa, Arizona




I left to drive up to Mesa for the Half Marathon at 12:20pm Saturday, which would give me just enough time to pick up my race packet and get situated. I didn't want to leave so early; the dogs thought they were going out for another round up in the mountains when I left and Kevin had to hold them back, but it was a solid four hour drive and 202 miles further north.

At least it wasn't raining hard like it did two years ago when I last ran the Valley of the Sun Marathon. I got right up to the expo from Loop 202 east and then Loop 101 North and then west on East Indian School Road.

I spent another 40 miles driving around Mesa's pretty streets, lined with blooming palo verde, mesquite, large yellow sage brushes...and everything smelled so sweet. Everything was in bloom, from the sages and agastaches to wildflowers along the roads. (According to the meteorologists, this weekend is the peak of the wildflowers)

I was looking for the beerpub I ate at a few years ago. I couldn't remember the name but I remembered it was off McDowell Road. I had to find a hotspot to google its location, and ironically it was across the street! It was the Red White and Brew Restaurant, so named for its extensive wine and beer list.

I walked in at 5:30pm. Crowds were already outside waiting for tables. People of all ages and backgrounds were at this place. I walked right up to the bar and sat down and ordered a Four Peaks Hefe Weizen, brewed in Tempe.

It was a large royal pint and one was enough for me, but then I started talking to the older couple next to me who just happened to be from New Jersey-New York. Carol, 64 was from Columbia, NJ and Charlie, 71, was from Staten Island. They have been living in Mesa since 2001 and moved here because of the weather. (I'm sure the scenery was another reason, or else they could have just moved down to South Texas).

I liked this couple. They are regulars at the Red White and Brew restaurant. The bartender saw them coming and without asking served up two Scotchs for them. We talked about New Jersey and New York, the Poconos, the Appalachian Trail, going "down to the Shore" and other uniquely Jersey things no one else could understand. They ended up picking up my tab when they learned I was in town for the Half Marathon, and even insisted on getting me an order of hot buttered Italian bread.

The restaurant never calmed down. "We come here every Saturday" said Carol, and they sit at the bar where they don't have to wait for a table.

We exchanged phone numbers. Charlie wants to come down to our area and shoot his pistol. He was also interested in the Minute Men Project (like many other border Arizonans were before they went too radical) and I promised them I'd try to come back sometime in April with Kevin so we can all talk about the great Northeast and the fun things back there.

No comments: