Total Pageviews

Sunday, March 16, 2008

My first cycling tour of town

I met Bill at 8am and took off for our 35-mile out-and-back ride along Highway 90 toward Bisbee. It was cold, a near-record 45F at 8am that warmed to 55F by noon. The wind was brutal, especiallycoming back, but the scenery was beautiful. I had always wanted to ride that uphill ride into Bisbee. There's an elevation gain of 700' over 15 miles.

At one point I observed a full-sized pick-up with Alaskan plates slow down and then stop on the shoulder. The driver tried to hide his face from me; I immediately noted the license plate number, time and how many people were in the truck. Shortly after the driver stopped a Mexican wearing the standard dark clothes came out from the brush, jumped into the back of the bed and layed down low, out of sight. The driver watched me for a while and didn't drive off for a while. I called the USBP as soon as I could to give all the details. The agent was very professional and thanked me. I told him I thanked him for his great job.

The group that organized today's ride, GABA out of Tucson (Greater Arizona Bicycling Association) did a fantastic job, too. When we stopped at the half-way point for refreshments there were all kinds of goodies: granola bars, banana and orange slices, trail mix, M&Ms, P&J sandwiches, cranberry juice and cookies. We got all that plus sodas and bagged lunches at the end. Wow! And the volunteers were all super.

I did well for a novice, although the gears on my Trek1200 are still giving me trouble. Bill has a steady stride and is a great partner to ride with. Perhaps with a few more rides I can work back up to the 50-60 mile rides I used to do in California.

The weather was HORRIBLE riding back, with a vicious crosswind hitting us from the front left. Even Bill said he was peddling uphill just to stay upright. At one point we were struggling at 6mph! We were doing 14mph the other direction.

I was impressed with GABA and its volunteers and hope to ride a few more rides with them this year. I know their rides will conflict with the hikes in my hiking group, but what's a little cross-training? I may even get Kevin back on his racer. The only thing that keeps me from riding more (besides my laziness) is not wanting to leave the dogs alone. I want them to get their daily exercise, too and that's why I hike and jog with them instead.

Later on we met up with Bill at El Paso Restaurant for HAppy Hour. He said I did the right thing by calling in the suspect illegal pick-up this morning, and was surprised that I could memorize the car's license plate. (That's because I repeated the plate number to myself like a mantra until I could call the USBP). I hope those people were caught and apprehended because even Bill thought the vehicle was suspect. Better safe than sorry.

Bill also gave me a brochure for GABA. The group has group rides in northern Sonora, too. All the more reason to get my passbook. I've always wanted to see more of the real Mexico.

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



http://www.bikegaba.org/ http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/A/AZ_ARIZONA_STORM_AZOL-?SITE=AZSVH&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

http://www.bikegaba.org/Overnights&Centuries/2008/Sierra_Vista_Classic/Description.htm

No comments: