Total Pageviews

Tuesday, March 4, 2008

I am home


After 3840 miles and god only knows how many dollars, I am home. The two peaks of Miller and Carr welcomed me with their 9000'+ splendor.

I surprised the dogs by first driving down the back alley, getting all the dogs down the street to bark in unison. When it came to Sara and Sammy's turn they went nuts over the van on "their" turf...until I called out their names. They stopped barking and started wimpering. When I got closer Sara wanted to lick my face and Sammy wanted to sniff my crotch. (Men...geez!)

The house looks good although I can smell stale cigarettes. Reina meowed at me, Chico and Mo just blinked their eyes at me. Oh, so you're home? they seemed to say.

The yards are looking good and are in much better shape than they were in November-December when I was last here to take care of the pets and yards. I didn't see any desert broom growing but I seem to have a lot of dandelions this spring. The tree on our west side is starting to bloom, the other tree is still thinking about it. Some of the sage is also blooming, the rosemary is in full purple bloom and everything else will soon come out.

I showered as soon as I could and took the dogs out for a walk before Kevin came home from work. We celebrated at home, staying in bed and watching "The Biggest Loser" which I haven't seen in a while. Kevin wants me to help him lose weight: he weighed himself in at 209 pounds. Both dogs together probably weigh as much; both need to lose weight as well. I certainly have my work cut out for me.

This weekend I'll be in Mesa for the Half Marathon and the following weekend I have a 35-mile bike tour with Bill. Then there's the Bataan Death March at the end of March. I have my work cut out for myself as well, but I will take the dogs on longer day hikes up the nearby mountains so that they get three good work-outs a week and lose weight. I'll have then both weighed at the vet's later this week.

Wednesdays will be my busy days with the Master Gardener Course from 10-1pm through the end of May. I have a lot of pruning to do in the yards, and a lot of dandelion removal as well. Weather should finally warm up with temps in the 70s/40s.

It's great to be back home, with my partner by my side. He wants and needs me to help him along with his goals and I'm willing to be there. Like the personal trainer Jillian on The Biggest Loser, if I have to yell at him I will. (As if I never have in the past).

No comments: