Total Pageviews

Monday, July 7, 2008

We didn't go anywhere all weekend

We didn't even drive into town on the 4th to watch the fireworks, which turned out to be the 3rd largest in the state.

Instead, we stayed at home and doubled our garden. Kevin's really getting into harvesting the beans and tomatoes and goes out every afternoon (after work) to count the new vegetables. So, we now have another bed ready to be sowed and a second one in the works. I am so stoked about his enthusiasm!

I ordered red cbbage seeds from Johnny's Select Seeds out of Maine last week and should get them in another week. Red cabbage is my favorite and a hard vegetable here to find. Doesn't anyone here eat red cabbage?! Six packets of several red cabbage varieties, some beets and specialty beans with shipping cost me $34. I hope the purchase was worth it!

We had two strong rains in the last three days. One was late at night on the 6th, and yesterday morning the soil was still very soft we pulled a lot of weeds. We got so much work done.

All we need to do now is tidy up the back yard and we are going to have one impressive garden! I'm already looking forward to the fall vegetables. I want more spinach, beets and cabbage.

Meanwhile the Big Sur fire is still burning hard, torching now over 100 square miles, burning 22 homes and is only 11% contained. A fire north of Santa Barbara that started last week is growing very strong very fast. It's unbelievable how much forest in coastal California is now burned. I wouldn't be able to recognize the hills there anymore...

No comments: