Total Pageviews

Saturday, February 23, 2008

Day 13--Falcon State Park

My night was peaceful again, and the cooler lakeside temperature made for very comfortable sleeping weather again. But this morning the sunrise was unspectacular because of the overcast skies and cooler temps (63F at 6am). I almost felt chilled.

I showered a hot shower for the first time in three days. Boy did that feel great. Too bad I was accidentally in the men's shower room and not the women's! Luckily the young man who walked in on me was courteous and waited for me outside while I quickly got myself wrapped up--he caught me while I was getting dressed so I was almost done anyway--and went to the correct room afterwards. How could I have missed the sign? The signs were above the roofs; I looked at the walls and outside the buildings, but not on the roofs.

Many fishermen were already out fishing when I drove around. I could clearly see into Mexico but with the grey skies it was a rather dull view. On a hot day, like two days ago, this dammed part of the Rio Grande that provides recreation for both countries, is a haven.

Today I will drive toward Laredo, 90 miles away, and stop in Zapata and wherever there are historical markers. I need an oil change badly and will hopefully find a place in Laredo. I also need to get water and a new toothbrush. I don't know what happened to my toothbrush. I last used it in Pharr. I never feel human with dirty teeth.

Ipaid my $4 camping fee (what a deal!) and hiked the 3.1-mile Nature Trail that takes birders/joggers around the park perimeter but never actually to the lake itself. I spotted mostly raptors besides the obvious and loud grackles. I finished the loop in 65 minutes witha sky that just started bluing up for the day. It was also warm enough now to take my fleece off, the fleece I hadn't worn since leaving SPI.

No comments: