Total Pageviews

Sunday, February 24, 2008

Day 14--Leaving Laredo, Texas Travel Centers




I spent the night at Casa Blanca State Park, a park for fishing and boating more than for hikers, although joggers and dog walkers used the paved road for their needs. The lake's shore, as expected, was littered with trash but that didn't stop the grackles. They were everywhere in the brush when I walked to the shore.

I am typing this from the Texas Travel Center off exit 18 on I-35, my first stop at such a center along this trip. They offer free WiFi for all travelers, and this center even has a separate TV room with CNN Headline news where I am sitting. The center is new and resembles an old Spanish mission, but inside there are informational brochures for every Texas town people may travel through. The information is impressive, and the staff as usual, helpful and knowledgable.
http://textreks.com/

The news is about McCain's alleged usage of lobbyists and an unethical affair with a female lobbyist, the Turkish invasion of northern Iraq, the new leadership of Cuban Raul Castra, wildfires in the Texas Plains town of Snyder, and the momentum of Senator Obama in the Democratic race for presidency. Governor Huckabee was on Saturday Night Live last night making fun of his own losing race for the Republican nomination. (What a shame, I think he'd be another fine candidate).

So many fascinating things always happen when I am on the road. I called Kevin as I left the state park and we both realized we've missed each other. I've missed his companionship on this trip, although he probably would have been bored with the birding I've done. He's more into the historical stuff, stuff that goes back to the old Indian-Mexican-Civil War battles.

No comments: